Top Ten Tuesday is hosted each week by The Broke and The Bookish and allows us to combine our love of books with our love of lists. This week’s topic is: Ten Books I Meant To Read In 2017 But Didn’t Get To.
I feel like I could put every single book I haven’t read yet on this list and it would still be true. But of course there were those that I swore I would read by the end of 2017 and just didn’t. Most of them were highly anticipated by me at the beginning of the year, or as soon as I found out about them, and then for whatever reason just never read it. I hope I’m not alone in this and I really don’t know what causes it but I feel like it happens so often. I’ll be dying for an ARC of something and get it and then put off reading it. Or I’ll pre-order a book to be delivered on pub day and be super excited and then put it on my shelf right away instead of reading it. I don’t understand why but I hope I get better at this soon! Especially with ARCs. But it can be difficult balancing the books I want to read with the books I feel like I need to read. Because as long as I’m getting review books (and I still want to be getting review books!), I’ll always feel some responsibility to get those books read on time. So let’s hope that this year is a great reading year, a year when we get to read what we want as well as read what we should, and feel satisfied with all of it! And we’ll start by purging the guilt of not reading these books when I should have:
- Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare: I pre-ordered this and was all set to start it right away but something came up and it got pushed aside. And then I actually did start it but went on vacation and didn’t want to cart this huge book on the plane with me and then never picked it up when I got back. I borrowed the audiobook from the library this week and am really really hoping to make some progress in it soon!
- Renegades by Marissa Meyer: I searched for an ARC of this to trade for but never got one and then my mom bought this for me during B&N’s Black Friday sale. I’ve been dying to pick it up since then but it’s huge and I really needed to make my Goodreads goal so I finished the year with a bunch of shorter books. But now I’m hoping to get some time next month to get this sucker in! I’m really excited!
- Ringer by Lauren Oliver: I was just okay with first one but I’ve had an ARC of Ringer for a long time and I really meant to read it. I still want to because I want to see what happens with the characters and I really hope this book make some statements on humanity.
- Invictus by Ryan Graudin: I was super excited to get my hands on this early and then didn’t read it. I’m so mad. But this was one where bad reviews started to show up for it and I started to get nervous. I still really want to read it and am hoping it happens this year!
- A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab: I actually started this one too but I don’t even know why I stopped reading it. I probably needed to get some review books done and because this is so long and was taking me a while, I put it down for a bit. I am definitely going to finish it this year. I need to know what happens!
- Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco: I’m already almost halfway through this one so it might not even count for this but I was getting so bored with it, I had to put it down. I meant to go back to it but just never did. I really want to finish it because so many people love it and I really need to see some more of Audrey Rose and Thomas.
- Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu: I don’t know why but I didn’t hear much about this one until it was out and then it immediately went on my list. But because of review books and other things that had been on my list first, it was never Moxie’s turn. I’m really hoping to read it this year and see what all the great reviews are for!
- The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand: This was another one that I was super excited to get a copy of early but then it just never ended up being the right time to read it. After her last one, I figured I’d need to be in the right mood and it just never happened. But I really want to finally read it.
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff: I have this in hardcover and I’ve been meaning to read it but it’s enormous! And I’m definitely a little scared. I’m worried that I’ll hate it or something. I don’t really know why but I’ll definitely read it this year. Maybe after I finish Obsidio and am in a really dark place.
- No Limits by Ellie Marney: As soon as I finished Marney’s Every series, I wanted more. And when I heard she was writing this one, I put it on my list and couldn’t wait for it to come out! Then it did and I just never got around to it. I’m still sad I haven’t read this yet but I’m still planning to this year. And if you haven’t read her Every series yet, I highly recommend it!
What’s on your TBR list that’s leftover from last year?
P.S. This is The Broke and The Bookish’s last week hosting Top Ten Tuesday, so let’s make sure to leave them lots of love and thanks for being so awesome and make sure we welcome our new host, That Artsy Reader Girl, starting next week!