The Debut Author Challenge is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. I’m excited for this one too because it’s another new one for me. I love finding debut authors and I love seeing how they support each other and the hope that I’ll find a new author I’ll completely love. So I’m jumping in on this challenge too. Any 2017 debut counts as long as it is publishing in this year and is read in this year and is a full length novel. Novellas do not count. The challenge is to read twelve throughout the year. Here are some debuts I want to read this year:
Frostblood, The Hate U Give, Song of the Current, Love and First Sight, To Catch a Killer (DNF), It Started With Goodbye, The Empress of a Thousand Skies, #famous, The Traitor’s Kiss, Royal Bastards, and And We’re Off.
- The book must be classified as middle grade, young adult, new adult fiction.
- The book must be a full-length novel and not a novella.
- The book must be the author’s MG/YA/NA 2017 debut. (If the author has published adult fiction before, but this is their first MG/YA/NA book EVER it still counts. If the author has published a YA book before and this is their first MG or NA book, it does not count. We are reading the author’s first book for young people, excluding picture books.)
- Self-published books do not count, so if the author has self-published a MG/YA/NA book before and this is their first book published by a traditional publisher it counts toward the challenge.
- ARCs are fine, but only if you read them the year they are published. (If you read a 2017 debut in 2016, it does not count. If you read a 2018 debut in 2017, it does not count. This way, participants who do not have access to ARCs are not at a disadvantage.)
Here are the books I’ve read for this Challenge:
- Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist – Review
- Frostblood by Elly Blake – Review
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Traveler by L.E. Delano – Review
- #famous by Jilly Gagnon