Top Ten Tuesday is hosted each week by The Broke and The Bookish and allows us to combine our love of books with our love of lists.
This week is another fun topic that we get to personalize a bit. We get to pick the genre and make our list of the Top Ten All Time Favorite Books in that Genre. These topics are always a bit hard for me because I have a tough time making decisions. I could go ahead and choose young adult as a genre but I feel like that would be cheating a bit. So I’m going to choose YA contemporaries. I love science-fiction and fantasy books as well but I have a special place in my heart for contemporaries. So here are my top favorite YA contemporaries.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: I really related to Cath in terms of being raised by a single parent, the feelings of being left behind by the other, being so anxious about unknown situations and meeting new people, and not really wanting to go away to college. Plus, this story has Levi and if you want a book with a good (but not perfect) guy, definitely read this. Also, if you’re a fan of anything, you should read this.
- Where the Stars Still Shine and Something Like Normal by Trish Doller: Both of these are great books about what family and home are, the people who care about us, moving on, trusting, and growing up. I highly recommend both of them.
- The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler: I was really moved by the relationship that Jude and her father have as well as how it feels to grow up and find out that everything you thought was awesome about being older turns out to maybe not be so great.
- Golden by Jessi Kirby: This book made was set right at the end of high school when you’re not really sure what you want to do next but feel like so much of the rest of your life depends on that decision. It was an interesting look at living and taking chances and futures.
- The Distance Between Us by Kasie West: Disregarding the slightly unrealistic ending, this is a go-to book for sarcastic characters and romance. I love it.
- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer: This one took me by surprise. I was not expecting to love it as much as I did. It was a great book about girlfriends and girl power.
- The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson: This one is super emotional but I still highly recommend it.
- Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas: Most of the other books on this list are serious but this one was fun and light and fast and all about prom. I really enjoyed it.
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: Anna and St. Clair. I love them. This is just one of those romances that I enjoy reading over and over.
- Dare You To (Pushing the Limits) by Katie McGarry: Pushing the Limits might be my favorite YA contemporary series but Ryan and Beth are easily my favorite of the group. I love their story and was definitely surprised when they overtook Noah and Echo as favorites.
What genre did you choose? What are your favorite YA contemporaries?